Welcome to the #1 Civic Type R Forum and Civic Type R community dedicated to Civic Type R owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Civic Type R Forum today!

306-HP Manual-Only Civic Type R That's Coming to America

CivicFan

Administrator
State
CA
Country
United States

From Road & Track

American enthusiasts have been waiting a long time for this. We've known for awhile that the Civic Type R was US-bound, and we even saw it in concept form, but now, it's finally here. Meet the production-ready 2017 Civic Type R that's headed to the US this spring.

Despite rumors that it would make 340 horsepower, the Civic Type R comes equipped with a 2.0-liter four-cylinder that produces 306 horsepower and 295 lb-ft of torque. Those are the same numbers as the old European-market Civic Type R, so we think it's either the same exact engine, or one that's largely similar.

As we expected, the Type R will be front-wheel-drive only, and the only transmission option is a six-speed manual-just as the hot hatch deities intended. Compared with the previous, European-market Civic Type R, the new one offers automatic rev-matching, a new single-mass flywheel, and a lower final-drive ratio.

While the drivetrain isn't a significant upgrade over the outgoing Type R, there's a lot to get excited about in the chassis department. At the front, the Type R gets aluminum lower arms and steering knuckles, and a helical limited-slip differential. That diff will have its work cut out for it with 306 horsepower headed to the two front wheels. Stopping force comes from four-piston Brembo brake calipers up front, with single-pistons in the rear.

The Type R also gets adaptive dampers and a modified electric power steering. Additionally, the new Type R is both lighter-mostly thanks to an aluminum hood that saves 15 lbs-and stiffer than the regular Civic Hatchback it's based off.

As is requisite on modern performance cars, the Civic Type R offers three driving modes-Comfort, Sport, and +R-that modify steering, throttle, damper, and stability control settings. Naturally, the car also features heavily bolstered sport seats trimmed in red.

The Type R's closest rival, the Ford Focus RS, offers 45 more horsepower and a clever all-wheel-drive system, but it seems the Civic Type R will offer a much different driving experience. Considering the standard Civic Hatchback is one of the best driving compacts on the market, expectations for the Type R are high.

The Type R makes its debut in European specs today at the Geneva Motor Show, but we'll see it in the US next month at the New York Auto Show. Pricing for the US hasn't been finalized yet, but expect it to sell in the mid-$30,000 range.

We just can't wait to see it on these shores.

State
CT
Country
United States
What I Drive
93 Integra GSR, 06 Evolution MR
I want one.

State
Non-US
Country
United States
Looking forward to this

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

State
Non-US
Country
United States
I waited for this for a really long time

State
TX
Country
United States
I waited for this for a really long time

Me too, been waiting since last year when I heard rumors the Type-R is coming stateside.

State
Non-US
Country
United States
Can't wait to buy and drive
What color do you have

State
TX
Country
United States
I'm still waiting on getting one too. For me its going to be white.

Can't wait to buy and drive
What color do you have

State
Non-US
Country
United States
Question,why white?
Something different
I am decideding between red or metal

State
TX
Country
United States
I've always love white and this will be my third white car. Plus its hot as well in TX so white suits me nicely.

Question,why white?
Something different
I am decideding between red or metal

State
Non-US
Country
United States
Kool,I haven't been to Texas since I was 3 years old
My first car was a Honda Accord and it was white
Then had a red Honda civic ex 2000
Since I live in Maui Hawaii I will get red,

State
NV
Country
United States
I'm really digging the grey color.

Would be sweet if they made this prototype color an option.

State
Non-US
Country
United States
Did you see the metal to,

State
Non-US
Country
United States
By the way,my name is shea
What's your name